The National Association of Consumer Advocates

NYC Department of Consumer Affairs

NY Attorney General Consumer Frauds Bureau – Among other things, you can submit an auto fraud complaint here.

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

NY Department of Financial Services

Claro – Civil Legal Advice and Resource Office (Free clinics for consumers in NYC and Westchester)

New Economy Project – Economic Justice for all New Yorkers (Includes useful materials regarding consumer rights and debt collection such as an outline of how to file a dispute with credit reporting agencies and a sample dispute letter)

Center for Responsible Lending

Empire Justice Center – Protecting and strengthening the legal rights of the people in NY State who are poor, disabled, or disenfranchised

Public Justice – Fighting injustice and preserving access to the courts for ordinary people

CARS – Consumers for Auto Reliability and Safety activist organization

Debtors Anonymous – Offers hope for people whose use of unsecured debt causes problems and suffering in their lives and the lives of others.


For information generally about workplace rights: Workplace Fairness

For information about the federal employment laws against discrimination based on race/color, sex, age, disability, and religion, and filing an EEOC Charge: the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission)

For information about federal labor laws, such as Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and COBRA: the U.S. Department of Labor FMLA and COBRA webpages.

For information about New York State’s laws against discrimination: the  NYS Division of Human Rights

For information about New York City’s laws against discrimination: the NYC Commission on Human Rights

For information about NYS Unemployment Benefits: the NYS Department of Labor

To find an employment rights lawyer: NELA lawyer referral line

For unpaid wages: NY State Department of Labor claim for unpaid wages form

For information about paid sick leave complaints in NYC – NYC Division of Consumer Affairs

For information about occupational health complaints – OSHA (US Department of Labor)


And of course if you need to find a lawyer, you can always contact your local bar association.